[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Feb 14 01:08:51 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 6:30 PM, john.baab at gmail.com
<john.baab at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Keep in mind that Myth appears to add higher costs for the front-end
>> hardware.  I can get Media Center Extenders for about $100 each.  Can I
>> build a Myth front-end for $100 that will play HD content?
>
> More reasonably low $200 range for a some flavor of an Ion box.  Also
> worth noting this is an actual PC so you will have much more control
> and expandability over any extender.
>
> It was my understanding that the xbox 360 was the only MCE extender
> still made, they aren't $100.

I think he's talking about something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-Media-Center-Extender-DVD/dp/B000XQONSG

Years ago I used a Hauppauge MVP as a front end (standard def) using
the mvpmc software.  It was a decent frontend package, but it wasn't a
real MythTV frontend.  When I made the move to HD, I replaced it with
a real PC.

Eric