[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Feb 12 05:34:45 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:06:07PM -0600, Reynolds, Brian wrote:
> [...]

    You are really out of your depth here.

> probably be against the "rules" here.  No, I don't have experience with
> MCE.  I'm going to install it (and Myth) on one or two machines I

    Yet you spout all sorts of propaganda about it as if you actually
have a clue. Perhaps you should get a clue first before spouting nonsense.

> currently own.  I'll play around with them and even install at least one
> tuner card that is compatible with one or the other (or both).  I've
> also asked my son if he can borrow a friend's Xbox so I can play with an
> extender (he doesn't like Xbox, we own a couple of Wii's and a PS3).
> However, I have TONS AND TONS of experience with Windows (since Windows
> was an infant... think 1.0).  I know that nearly everything in Windows
> can be hacked.  From what I've read, Win MCE will do 99.9% of what I

    That's really where something like MythTV diverges from the Microsoft
aproach with MCE. Some box running a Myth frontend is the actual Myth
software as opposed to some 3rd party appliance that may or may not be up
to snuff either in terms of hardware or software.

    Nevermind the fact that MCE itself needs tweaks before it's going to be
able to offer what you seem to be interested in.

    A number of us use BD rips with MythTV.

> want to do, with those hacks.  However, I have VERY LITTLE experience
> with Linux and/or MythTV.  I am, however, a quick learner and actually

    That seems to apply to MCE as well.

> enjoy learning something new.  I love a challenge.  I'm looking to you
> guys to help me find any benefits to Myth that I haven't already
> considered.  TiVo is already off my list... it doesn't have the features

    The inability to run a copy of MCE on another PC as an extender is
probably the main issue. Console hardware may or may not have the ability
to deal with content that a PC can either handle with sheer brute force
or with better dedicated hardware.

[deletia]