[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 12 00:36:50 UTC 2011

On 02/11/2011 04:47 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 2/11/2011 3:31 PM, Joe Hickey wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Reynolds, Brian  wrote:
>>> I saw the post about DRM causing some people problems with the super
>>> bowl.  I can understand that a new product will have some bugs, but
>>> after reading the posts on thegreenbutton.com I see that Ceton
>>> responded
>>> pretty quickly too.  That's the kind of company I want to deal with.
>> Not the kind of company I want to deal with.  You already forgot
>> option #2 - just choose not to buy into the DRM in the first place.
>> Don't subscribe to the cable company's tactics, keep your money, use
>> sources that are not encumbered by such nonsense.  No problems.
> THAT's what I don't get.. the "gotta have it" mentality. It's TV!!!

Agreed.  OTA only for me.  I'm actively rebelling against the
cable-company's DRM with the only proper approach--by foregoing the
garbage they peddle.  And, I find that when I buy all the cable-only TV
shows I actually want to watch on DVD (lesser of available DRM schemes
compared to Blu-Ray), I still pay less than I would to subscribe to
cable (and that's accounting for only a single-STB subscription to
cable--not even additional cost incurred to use that subscription with
MythTV:  things like multiple STBs and HD-PVRs and such).

> As recently witnessed on TV as Verizon rolled out the iPhone4 and
> people in the midwest endured bitter single digit temps for WHAT!?!
>
> A FREAKING PHONE! They could wait 3 months, not have to wait in line,
> it'll be warmer out, no shortage of phones and (here's the kicker) at
> probably 1/2 the price!

At least they could talk on their existing cell phones while waiting.
Of course, once they got the iPhone, they won't be able to use it in
temperatures below 0C, so at least Apple/Verizon are making them wait in
the cold on the right side of the deal.

Mike