[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Feb 11 22:10:01 UTC 2011

On 2/11/2011 16:58, Reynolds, Brian wrote:
> The Ceton card is currently only supported in Windows.  There was a mention that there is a possibility of future support by Myth.

The Ceton card is basically a system-on-chip, running embedded Linux,
hiding behind a network interface.  The card installs itself as a
network card, running a private network, and is discovered using UPnP.
All control and video transfer is then done using normal network
sockets, so the device functions very similarly to the HDHomeRun.  This
gives an idea of the extreme measures needed to resort to for Cable Labs
compliance, and this design was to prevent the system from being able to
probe the device over DMA calls.

Ceton is providing Linux network drivers, and one of the MythTV devs is
currently working on a socket library to use for recording off the device.

> If I decide to try to virtualize the machine, I should be able to partition the hardware so that Linux only sees the tuners that I want it to see, correct?

Most virtualization software doesn't support direct access to PCI[e]
cards.  I've heard that those that do tend to have problems with it.
USB tends to work better, but still not ideal.