[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Feb 11 13:21:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 07:36:36AM -0500, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 2/11/11 6:16 AM, Nasa wrote:
> > I have to differ with this statement...  Depending on your service
> > provider and thier boxes this feature may not actually work.  I had
> > it going for a number of years, but within the last 6 months Comcast
> > turned off the capability all togather (channel changing stopped
> > working all togather).
>

> I've been using firewire channel changing for years, and I do have to
> admit that I have had one hiccup with it.   It took me a little while to
> figure it out, but as it turns out it was just that my STB needed a
> power cycle.  Playing with the cables, I ended up pulling the power
> cord, and then it magically worked again!

    Serial/USB control can be the same way. It's the same sort of gotcha.
You have to make sure that the USB cable is connected and your mythbox
is online before you power on the cable box.

    The cable box has limited compatability in terms of the guts of the
USB->serial cable can't do any sort of hot plugging. The control port
does not act in a manner comparable to how such a port would act on a
PC.

    It's a bit of a bother in the beginning but it chugs along fine by
itself once it is set up and powered on.

    Oddly enough, IR control probably has the smallest chance of some
sort of hangup internal to the cable box.