[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Feb 10 19:10:15 UTC 2011

Just keep in mind that when you say you don't mind DRM, you're essentially supporting the problem and eventually
you will probably get burned -- somehow, sometime. Like when that DVD will only play on Brand X and you just bought
brand Y -- but Brand Y wasn't part of the consortium. Or you bought a song in iTunes you can't import it to your car's
mp3 player which is 1000 times better than your iPod.

I realize this is more philosophical than probably needed for this group - but it goes back to what I was saying earlier.

When people accept being a little controlled... they get... well, really controlled... and are usually not happy about it.

Give them an inch, and suddenly you'll realize they've taken a mile. (In psychology, I believe this is the "Foot in the door" technique.)

Thus, I personally choose not to support "them" (whoever they may be) monetarily by buying products I know
are part of the problem. DRM is part of the problem.

As an example (and it's been in talked about enough on the web that it should make people worry),

If the music industry could, they would charge you a nickel EVERY TIME you hear a song. The SAME song.

That's why they want DRM.

That bothers me. Maybe I'm the only one.

Oh well.

  -Ben