[mythtv-users] No Display

GZ gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 20:44:12 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Andy <mizeraka at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I opened the mythtv box in VNC just to confirm it was on.  It was.  I tried "Play music" and lo and behold, I had sound and picture.  It worked like normal.  But when I exited back to the mythtv menu, I got the "No Signal" message.
>
> VLC (which is what I am using to watch videos) gives me a signal which I lose when I exit VLC.  I can watch live TV and recorded programs with the internal player, but I cannot see the desktop or the mythtv.
>
> Things I have tried:
> Changing the resolution.
> Changing the configuration in the NVIDIA panel (although I'm not sure I know EXACTLY what I was doing in there).
> Changing my theme.
> Opening Mythtfrontend while a VLC window is playing (this is the closest to success I have come... I can see the desktop and enter mythtv, but once that VLC window closes, I get the "No Signal"message.

Ugh, that's really annoying.  There has been a lot of work on ALSA
with respect to HDMI (as well as a release in the last few days).
It's annoying to do, but perhaps an upgrade to the latest ALSA would
help.  In the best of all possible worlds, there would be an option in
ALSA to allow the HDMI sound to be "always on" as opposed to being on
only when an application is playing (and maybe there is).  Perhaps the
alsa devs might have some advice for you on this.
Good luck.
-Greg