[mythtv-users] 2 mux on same time

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 11:44:54 UTC 2011

Josu Lazkano wrote:

>I want to add more tunners to record and watch channels at same time
>on different frontends, I think that MythTV must select the free
>capturer each time.

It's not something Myth handles well - it's really not designed for it.
There is a setting (something like "avoid conflicts between live TV
and recordings") which might help - I believe it changes priorities
so that live TV will pick the lowest priority (typically last added)
tuner - which means it's less likely to conflict with recordings
which use the highest priority tuner first.

I recall starting a discussion about this some years ago when I
started with Myth. For us ("Freeview" in UK), it would make sense to
dedicate one DVB-T tuner to each mux and then it would take only four
tuners to be able to watch/record any possible permutation of
channels - we'd need a fifth DVB-T2 tuner now to get the HD channels.
But it seems that even if we did that, only having channels from one
mux available on each tuner, you'd still need to manually select the
source as Muth won't do that for you.

It's a simple fact that Myth is not really designed, and is
definitely not optimised, for Live TV viewing. It will do it, but
it's really optimised for recording lots and letting you watch it
later.

As for having multiple copies of the channels, then I believe only
one will be shown if you give each instance of a channel the same
channel number. So probably all you need to do is renumber your
channels so that they match up. There is a channel renumbering script
that may be adaptable to your needs - I wrote it originally because
it was a faff having to manually edit the channel list each time the
broadcasters shuffled the channels around.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_editing_script

--
Simon Hobson