[mythtv-users] Asus GT240 video card - thumbs up?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 16:19:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1 February 2011 13:11, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>
> > For that price, better to go with a fanless GT430.
>
> Even with a fan I'd get with a GT430.

Agreed.  I just purchased this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500175&cm_re=zotac_430-_-14-500-175-_-Product

It's great, but it does take up 2 PCI slots due to the large sized
heatsink.  It's also completely quiet.  I highly recommend this board.
Note, if you use a BTX style case (case opens from right instead of left),
be sure you have the "extra PCI slot" ABOVE the PCIe 16x slot.  I did not,
and had to dremel off the extra PCI vent from the card.  This works out fine
however, because there's a fan and vent on the back of the machine to blow
cool air across the card.  If you don't have a vent there like I do, it
probably won't matter too much (depending on the size of your case) as this
card won't generate a _lot_ of heat just pushing 1080p.  Hope this helps.

Jim

PS: I love JYA's repo.  It's cool seeing that I have the ability to play the
HD audio codecs.  Once I get a decent receiver, then I'll be living it up.
:-)