[mythtv-users] UK commflagging script

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 00:47:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Robert Longbottom wrote:

> On 31/01/2011 10:56, Alex Butcher wrote:
>> Hi -
>>
>> I took it upon myself to hack
>> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silence-detect.sh>
>> into something practical that can actually be used to commflag UK TV
>> recordings. The results of my hacking can be found at
>> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythcommflag-wrapper>.
>>
>> Improvements and suggestions welcome.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Alex
>
> Interesting.  I've given it a go.  It seems to have worked nicely on tonights
> showing of How Do They Do It? on Five.  I also ran it against a 2hr episode
> of Rude Tube from E4 and it seems to have generated a cut list with numerous
> breaks - though I've not watched that one yet.
>
> The only thing is that it doesn't generate a commercial skip list, it
> generates a cut list.  I guess this kind of doesn't matter unless it gets
> something wrong, then it's quite tedious to correct because you have to go in
> and edit the cut list rather that just jump back and then ff over the advert
> manually.  Also I quite like the "Advert 4m30" message that pops up, then I
> just need to press skip to jump past it (or turn on autoskip).  Also, if you
> have a commerical skip list then you can use it to skip past the 3mins of the
> program before at the beginning (I overrun both ends of recordings to account
> for timing differences).

A few hours hacking, and I've got a local version generating a commercial
skip list instead of a cutlist, and (optionally) copying it to the cutlist
using mythcommflag --gencutlist.

> I see that mythcommflag has an option --getskiplist, but no --setskiplist
> (shame :-( )

Yeah, made my life more difficult than it needed to be. :-]

> I'm assuming also that this script wont work on in-progress recordings?  But
> I guess thats not too important really.

Correct. Well, I guess it might work, if ffmpeg takes longer to extract the
audio stream than the program has left to record!

> So far it seems to work better than the built in advert detection ever has
> for me so I'll try it on a few more channels in the next few days and see how
> it gets on.
>
> Good work so far though.

Thanks!

> Cheers,