[mythtv-users] What's the status of the Freeview HD audio problem

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Dec 27 23:55:06 UTC 2011

On 27/12/2011 21:51, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 27/12/11 21:25, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>

>>> I tried an experimental mytharchive run on an HD recording, but the
>>> conversion to mpeg2 failed at a programme transition; sound changed from
>>> stereo to 5.1 and nothing further seemed to happen.  My fixes build,
>>> from ATrpms, is dated 8 November.  I think normal playback was ok, but I
>>> only have stereo and a system underpowered for this stuff.
>>
>> Yes, that's the one. So are you saying it still doesn't work for
>> you with the fix? I'm seeing problems with normal playback. Haven't
>> tried archiving.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> 	Paul.
>
> I'm saying that I haven't been able to do a comprehensive test on
> playback but I did have a failure in mythtranscode that looked similar
> to the problems that I used to see quite often in the days when I would
> use it on raw dvb-t recordings; AIUI it just couldn't handle audio
> streams that came and went.  Sorry that's a bit off your real topic, but
> I'd like to find a usable alternative for HD recordings; ProjectX
> doesn't seem to be it.

Not sure about BBC HD recordings from Freeview, but for ones from
Freesat, I've been using mythtranscode in fifo mode running into
ffmpeg. The script I use is linked off of the mythtranscode
wiki page. If you use the jyavenard/backports/fixes/0.24 branch
from https://github.com/Glidos/mythtv/branches, you can use
--passthrough and --cleancut. That gives perfect results
for me.

Cheers,
	Paul.