[mythtv-users] TV Tuners, backend PC, etc

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 19:47:02 UTC 2011

Diego Rivera wrote:

>So...wireless is out except for simple tests or cases where bad
>signal/bandwidth aren't an issue.  100Mbps minimum it is, 1Gbps if
>possible (probably so).  Check!

It'll run fine over 100M, especially if there's not much else
happening on the network. But the price premium for gigabit is so low
that it's not worth the saving.

>About the LiveTV, let me explain the use case a bit further: the use
>case I want is to have the FE control EVERYTHING that's displayed on
>that screen, such that the TV set is reduced to being a monitor,
>really.  This way I can just focus on a single remote at each
>location that turns everything on and off, and a single, consistent
>UI for everyone to use.

Yes, I don't believe that's a problem.

>Additionally, I need to be able to drive 7.1/5.1 speakers with each
>FE box if necessary (it will be so in the living room/master
>bedroom).  The FE box will connect to the TV using HDMI to support
>1080p video (and by extension, 1080i and everything below).  Since
>I'm using HDMI, I'd like to be able (but not forced) to pipe the
>audio to the TV whenever the FE box lacks external speakers.  When
>the FE box has external speakers, I'd like to only pipe video via
>the HDMI and have the FE drive its own audio.  Does MythTV handle
>this automatically? (I presume it does, just asking for clarity and
>to be sure).

It'll need some setting up, but I believe this should all be doable.

>Finally - if I use HDMI, can the FE box be made to power up/down the
>TV with it? I know HDMI supports this functionality, but I have no
>clue if MythTV supports its use.

Not all TVs support it (mine doesn't). The key bit is that the
display supports HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) - which of
course, every manufacturer calls something different so as to pretend
you need to buy only their kit to link it together.

If you search for HDMI-CEC in the list archives, you'll find (a few
months ago IIRC) a thread about a new device that will inject CEC
commands into the HDMI link so you can control devices from your
computer via USB. IIRC some people had had some success with it.

A lot comes back to the control questions above. It's not something
I've tried myself, but I believe the system is quite configurable so
that you can issue external commands on certain Myth events, and/or
configure LIRC (Linux Infra Red Control) to do stuff when you press
certain buttons on the remote. It's a fairly simple bit of
electronics to make an "IR Blaster" that allows the system to send
arbitrary IR codes - again based on remote actions or Myth events -
and in fact this used to be (still is ?) a common way of controlling
external tuners (eg satellite or cable boxes).

You may have gathered by now that Myth is incredibly powerful and
flexible - but with that comes a level of complexity that requires a
certain level of work to get things just as you want them.

So, it should be possible to get the system set up so that you hit
the power button, the TV switches on, the surround system switches on
and selects the right input/mode, and so on.

Add X10 and I suspect you could have the curtains drawn and the
lights set as well - if you put the effort into setting it all up !

--
Simon Hobson