[mythtv-users] TV Tuners, backend PC, etc

Diego Rivera diego.rivera.cr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 17:10:29 UTC 2011

Wow! Lots of great feedback right off the bat!!

So...wireless is out except for simple tests or cases where bad
signal/bandwidth aren't an issue.  100Mbps minimum it is, 1Gbps if
possible (probably so).  Check!

About the LiveTV, let me explain the use case a bit further: the use
case I want is to have the FE control EVERYTHING that's displayed on
that screen, such that the TV set is reduced to being a monitor,
really.  This way I can just focus on a single remote at each location
that turns everything on and off, and a single, consistent UI for
everyone to use.

Additionally, I need to be able to drive 7.1/5.1 speakers with each FE
box if necessary (it will be so in the living room/master bedroom).  The
FE box will connect to the TV using HDMI to support 1080p video (and by
extension, 1080i and everything below).  Since I'm using HDMI, I'd like
to be able (but not forced) to pipe the audio to the TV whenever the FE
box lacks external speakers.  When the FE box has external speakers, I'd
like to only pipe video via the HDMI and have the FE drive its own
audio.  Does MythTV handle this automatically? (I presume it does, just
asking for clarity and to be sure).

Finally - if I use HDMI, can the FE box be made to power up/down the TV
with it? I know HDMI supports this functionality, but I have no clue if
MythTV supports its use.

Thanks again for the rapid answers!!  I'm fairly technical myself, but
I'm new to this particular field and I'd rather ask the stupid, silly
questions before I start making "smarter" deductions and assumptions...

Thanks!

/*Diego Rivera*/