[mythtv-users] At a loss with this harmony 650 and lirc...

jzigpublic jzigpublic at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 20:08:23 UTC 2011

On 12/17/2011 8:01 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> I throw myself on the mercy of the list, I'm stuck.
>>
>> I have an original HDHR with the IR receiver and I can not get lirc on
>> the myth box to see anything being sent from the HDHR.
>>
>> * Lircd starts up and is listening to port 5000 per /var/logs/daemon
>>
>> * irw returns nothing when I press a button on the remote
>>
>> * The myth box is not blocking the UDP data, iptables --list is empty
>>
>> * I see the network lights flash on the switch the HDHR and myth box are
>> attached to when I press a button
>>
>> The only thing I can think of is that the harmony is not configured
>> right.  According to the web site/stand alone tool, the myth box is a
>> 'Media Center PC (MythTVMythknoppix).
>>
>> This theory came to mind when I tried switching the profile and the
>> software asked me if I had a remote for the device already.  This makes
>> me think that, just perhaps, the software was expecting to have to learn
>> the codes from the remote that it is replacing, and as there isn't one,
>> it's sending bogus (or null) codes out.
>>
>> I know there are a few people on the list, can you point me in the right
>> direction as to what profile this thing should be set to, or a site that
>> breaks the correct settings down?
> Hi:
>
> My setup will be a bit different than yours since I'm running a OS X backend, but a lot should be the same.  First, I use the following parameters to have lircd listen for the HDHomerun:
>
> lircd --driver=udp --device=5000
>
> Next, you have to a configuration file that matches the remote codes that you're going to have the Harmony send.  I chose the remote for an older model Panasonic DVD since there was a complete-looking config file on lirc.org and the buttons available seemed to match well with Myth functions (ie "Menu", "Info", etc).  Put the lirc.conf file in the right place (likely /etc) and configure the Harmony to send those codes.  I *don't* have that DVD player--it is just a convenient set of codes that won't conflict with the devices I do have.
>
> I seem to remember that irw can't receive udp-based activity.  Maybe try ircat?
>
> Finally, you need a lircrc config file to map button presses to Myth commands.  See:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/LIRC
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Craig
> _
First and foremost you have to configure the hdhomerun to send IR
commands to the mythbox with this from the command line:
hdhomerun_config <device id> set /ir/target "<ip address of
mythbox>:5000 no_clear"
Then save the config in the hdhomerun's flash ram so it will survive a
power-off:
hdhomerun_config <device id> set /ir/target "<ip address of
mythbox>:5000 store"
If you want to revert back to not sending IR commands use:
hdhomerun_config <device id> set /ir/target none

Do not enter the angle brackets.  The device id is printed on the bottom
of the hdhomerun.

Now the hdhomerun will pass the IR along to your mythbox.

irw will now work if lircd is configured properly.  lircd needs to be
running for irw to work.  If you get nothing with irw, then stop the
lircd daemon and try running mode2 as follows:
mode2 -H udp -d 5000
mode2 will not work with lircd running.  The switches configure it to
work with the hdhomerun.
if you get responses from mode2 you can use irrecord to create a custom
lircd.conf as follows:
irrecord -H udp -d 5000 -n output.file
Rename the output file to lircd.conf and put it in the appropriate place
for you distro.  Restart lircd or maybe even reboot.

Ziggy