[mythtv-users] Install Mythbuntu with RAID 1 (Software)

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Dec 15 22:51:32 UTC 2011

> Ziegaus:
> I just went through this.  If you use the straight MythBuntu live CD, you
> can't install RAID at the same time...it's based on the regular Ubuntu
> install CD.

Wrong.  The guided installer may not provide the ability to configure Raid,
but the live CD works fine on machines with RAID... you just need to
configure the raid BEFORE you start the installer.

I have installed several machines with SW Raid using the liveCD.  There are
guides available if you need them
(example<http://blog.linuxniche.net/2010/09/ubuntu-10-04-install-with-lvm-on-raid-1-using-graphical-livecd/>),
but essentially all you do is use apt-get to install mdadm, partition the
drives and create the raid array, then start the installer... when you get
to the partitioner you can select the MD drives and configure their mount
points and proceed to install.

If your mirroring your boot partition and primary drive, the only other
thing you may want to do is install the bootloader to the secondary drive
so that if the primary fails you can still boot the system... there are
guides for that too.

I'd say good luck, but honestly this is actually so easy that luck
shouldn't be a factor.