[mythtv-users] About Python & Perl bindings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 15 19:53:49 UTC 2011

On 12/15/2011 02:39 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> On 12/15/2011 11:33 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

>>> Going back a couple of months, I see that it was Raymond Wagner and Eric
>>> Sharkey who prompted me to use the Perl bindings when I posted a Perl
>>> script here.
>>>
>>> If they're on-line, I'd like to see them step up to the plate here and
>>> engage Mike regarding the current status of the Perl bindings.
>> Engage how?
> Unless I misread Mike's posting, he seem to feel very insecure using the
> Perl bindings. I understood him to say there is very little
> documentation because they are incomplete. You, on the other hand, said
> I should be using them in my Perl scripts. Is Mike right? He feels they
> get rewritten all the time.

I'm simply saying that the Python bindings--written and designed by
Raymond Wagner--are significantly more useful than the current Perl
bindings.

Raymond likely told you to use the Perl bindings as a "better than
nothing" approach.  The Python bindings are still a "better than the
current Perl bindings" approach.

And, FWIW, I don't know Python (but I've hacked some scripts to work)
and I know Perl much better than Python.  Still, though, I'd use Python
bindings for any MythTV-interfacing script I would write these days.  As
a matter of fact, I'm considering going through the ancient,
from-before-the-Python-bindings-existed scripts I have written over the
years that are on the wiki and rewriting them using the Python
bindings.  (Only thing stopping me, now, is time and the huge list of
other things I have on my MythTV TODO list.)

Mike