[mythtv-users] Install Mythbuntu with RAID 1 (Software)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 09:20:08 UTC 2011

Raymond Wagner wrote:

>I expect he's talking about using software mirroring for his OS
>disk, which would most easily be set up during installation.

But not in MythBuntu I think. When I setup my frontend with the newer
version, I was "surprised" to find the installer doesn't even support
LVM ! Luckily I'd left a spare partition when I did the previous
setup.

Ziegaus Matthias wrote:

>Well, the setup i have are 2 x  1 TB Hdd.
>And i wanted to mirror 1 to the other.
>So i would end up having the OS and the recordings on the same hdds.
>I would use different partitions if that does work with RAID.

What I've got is a pair of mirrored partitions for my OS (and another
small pair for a /boot volume), and then use the rest of the free
space as separate storage group directories.

You can boot Linux from a mirrored array - but it can be fiddly to
get working in the first place, especially if, like me, you are
converting from something else. The trick is to tell you bootloader
to read the initrd and kernel from one of the physical devices rather
than the array. Once the kernel and initrd are loaded, then that
combination should contain the software to handle the arrays. You
also have to install the bootloader in the boot blocks of the second
disk - otherwise you'll be stuck without a bootloader if the first
disk fails.

--
Simon Hobson