[mythtv-users] Fedora 16 for mythTV

Tomas Aronsson d0malaga at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 00:48:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 12:28:10 -0600, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It shouldn't be too bad with proper preparation. I did a clean install
> from F10 to F12. I have a separate /home volume and I copied /etc and
> a myth database backup to it before I did the fresh install. It took a
> little while to get everything back to 100% but it wasn't too bad.

Updating frontends is a smaller step, but for many years I was afraid
of changing my backend. I even created my own frontend rpms of old
MythTV releases to avoid upgrading my old server. When hardware issues
forced me to update it was not as tricky as I had thought and I was
impressed by the automatic update of the mythtv database. For a while
I've used an F14 backend v0.24 with frontends running F14,F15 and F16
based on RPM Fusion. I had some MCE remote problems with F15, but the
F16 installation was ok for the frontend. By using a local rpm file
for my own frontend settings it is a lot easier to set up a new
frontend.

Now my backend motherboard just died so I've spent some hours
migrating the backend to F16 on new hardware (keeping same disks and
PVR350). Basic server functions (dns, http, nfs, xmltv feed) were no
problems. For MythTV I had three minor issues:
* Changing ownership of mythtv files as the backend does not run as
root, including disabling SELinux after some mythweb complaints which
I couldn't solve quickly by chcon / setsebool commands.
* Not able to access /dev/video0 as the backend does not run as root.
Solved by adding the "mythtv" user to the "video" group. Are there
better ways? Should this be included in some Fusion rpm file?
* Not able to use mythweb due to missing tables for mythweather....
probably my own fault as I just reused the mysql files from my old
installation instead of restoring a recent backup. Solved by googling
for "missing weathersourcesettings " and ending up at a blog called
"Cameron's IT stumbles" where a 2009 entry suggested some sql commands
to create basic tables. Haven't yet verified any mythweather
functionality, but mythweb is ok.

Overall I think Fedora 16 and the RPM Fusion files work fine.

/Tomas