[mythtv-users] CableCard surprise

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 05:03:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 12:03:02PM -0500, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
> > > This may be specific to Comcast but when setting up my HDHR prime, I
> found
> > > an 800 number under CableCard Menu | CableCard Pairing on the Prime.
> The
> > > number seemed to go through to some special Comcast department that
> > > immediately answered and was able to immediately fix my M-Card issues.
> >
> > Ah, thanks for that, I hadn't noticed.  I'll have to try that.
>
> FYI, when I first tried the 888-553-1555 number reported by my FIOS
> cable card, I spent 30-40 minutes on hold before I got to a human only
> to find out that was the billing department.

Turned out my card had the same phone number, and I called it up after the
wife and kids went to sleep.  I called around 10:45pm, and a tech picked up
around 11:10pm.  After he verified that the selfinstall page gave him the
same error it was giving me, he worked in silence for a while, then took my
host id and data numbers.  He put me on hold a few times, finally verified
my phone number and told me he'd call me back in 20 minutes.  About 15
minutes later he called back, I refreshed the Prime status page, and it was
activated.  I tried to ask him what the problem was, but he didn't go into
detail except to say it was an "epic quest" involved re-inputting a bunch
of data into their system.  A little over an hour from start to finish, but
it's working, yay.

He also told me he had no idea why they sent me the digital adapters and
that I could just send them back or take them into a Verizon store.

-Jerry