[mythtv-users] CableCard surprise

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Fri Dec 9 01:20:28 UTC 2011

On 12/8/2011 11:39 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 19:11, David Engel<david at istwok.net>  wrote:
>> FYI, when I first tried the 888-553-1555 number reported by my FIOS
>> cable card, I spent 30-40 minutes on hold before I got to a human only
>> to find out that was the billing department.
>
> The CC specs allow for the storage of a support number
> to be displayed to the customer.  The value of that number
> will vary by provider.  Of course, in most cases, it is
> going to be somewhat generic since there are so many
> possible reasons your "TV" is not working.  For Comcast,
> when you pick up the CC you usually get a small packet
> with documentation (on how to set up the CC with a tivo
> and/or windows) which includes a number to call which
> gets you immediately to the right activation department,
> which is better than the generic number which the CC
> displays.  As with much else, your mileage will vary.

My mileage *way* varied! I had gone in to the Comcast office to exchange
a cable box and fix a couple of items. I was *thinking* about getting a
prime and so inquired about CableCard availability. The rep said "Let me
check" and went in the back. She came back with a card in a plastic
carrier and warned me that they didn't always have them.

That's all I got. The card and nothing else. No instruction sheet or
anything. Luckily I had been studying the subject here for awhile and
luckily that 800 number was really responsive.

I'm very happy with my Prime and my cable bill went down too.