[mythtv-users] How to make the LIRC_DEVICE static in Fedora 16

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 04:55:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Boleslaw Ciesielski
<bc-mythtv at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 05:20:58PM -0800, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>> I posted some issues I was having with lirc after upgrading to Fedora
>> 16.  I determined that the real issue was that the lirc device was
>> changing on reboot each time, so my line in /etc/sysconfig/lirc for
>> LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/event6" would not do anything unless I
>> happened to be lucky on a reboot.  I would have to manually change
>> this.  Complicating matter, it looked like xorg was recognizing
>> certain of the remote keypresses as keyboard buttons so it would do
>> some funky stuff (like try to change the gnome volume and other
>> issues).  When I have the right entry in /etc/sysconfig/lirc, then
>> lirc takes precedence.
>>
>> I tried the documentation in the wiki for making it static by adding a
>> symlink and putting that path in the sysconfig file, but that did not
>> help.  Can anyone offer suggestions?  I have it working and when I
>> reboot, I can modify the file and restart xorg and lirc to get it to
>> work, but this is a less than ideal situation in case I ever need to
>> reboot.
>
> What do you mean it didn't help? You do not get the symlink? I have
> this in the udev rules file:
>
> KERNEL=="event[0-9]", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{name}=="i2c IR (Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350", SYMLINK+="hauppauge-ir"
>
> and it works fine.
>
> Also, in case of PVR-x50 you need to have an executable
> something.modules file in /etc/sysconfig/modules with this in it:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> modprobe ir-kbd-i2c
>

> Bolek

Hi Bolek,

This was the symlink I put in per the wiki:
ln -fs /dev/input/`cat /proc/bus/input/devices|grep -A 3
"Hauppauge"|grep event|cut -d ' ' -f3` /dev/input/remote

which created this symlink: remote -> /dev/input/
in this directory: /dev/input

I put /dev/input/remote in the /etc/sysconfig/lirc file, but that did
not help (and in fact made things worse).

Maybe I did make the correct symlink?