[mythtv-users] How to make the LIRC_DEVICE static in Fedora 16

Boleslaw Ciesielski bc-mythtv at comcast.net
Thu Dec 8 01:55:53 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 05:20:58PM -0800, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> I posted some issues I was having with lirc after upgrading to Fedora
> 16.  I determined that the real issue was that the lirc device was
> changing on reboot each time, so my line in /etc/sysconfig/lirc for
> LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/event6" would not do anything unless I
> happened to be lucky on a reboot.  I would have to manually change
> this.  Complicating matter, it looked like xorg was recognizing
> certain of the remote keypresses as keyboard buttons so it would do
> some funky stuff (like try to change the gnome volume and other
> issues).  When I have the right entry in /etc/sysconfig/lirc, then
> lirc takes precedence.
>
> I tried the documentation in the wiki for making it static by adding a
> symlink and putting that path in the sysconfig file, but that did not
> help.  Can anyone offer suggestions?  I have it working and when I
> reboot, I can modify the file and restart xorg and lirc to get it to
> work, but this is a less than ideal situation in case I ever need to
> reboot.

What do you mean it didn't help? You do not get the symlink? I have
this in the udev rules file:

KERNEL=="event[0-9]", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{name}=="i2c IR (Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350", SYMLINK+="hauppauge-ir"

and it works fine.

Also, in case of PVR-x50 you need to have an executable
something.modules file in /etc/sysconfig/modules with this in it:

#!/bin/sh
modprobe ir-kbd-i2c

Bolek