[mythtv-users] Setting up a backend on Ub11.10

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 7 16:54:25 UTC 2011

On 12/07/2011 11:14 AM, Tyler T wrote:
>>> However, because they do not officially support a backend/frontend setup split
>>> between different machines, they were unable to help me further.
> This has always bothered me. Why put the code in if you're not going
> to support it?

Have any of you realized how much difference there is between the size
of a MythTV frontend and backend install and either a MythTV frontend
only install or MythTV backend only install?  We're talking maybe 10MB
of HDD space total.  What's the point--on /any/ HDD or SSD or flash
drive?  Now, if you were trying to install it into the 2MB or 4MB
storage available on a router, I could see the complaint--but since
that's not possible...

The problem with the, "Only install the parts of MythTV I need," idea is
that nearly all of MythTV's code exists in libraries that are shared by
the frontend and backend--meaning those libraries need to be installed
whether you install the frontend or the backend.  Therefore, don't think
of this as system bloat, think of it as getting the frontend installed
"just in case" on a backend system for only 2.5MB extra or the backend
installed ("just in case") on a frontend-only system for only 1.5MB or
mythtv-setup installed (for setup) on a frontend-only system for only 377kB.

Now, if your distro installs things like MySQL server and Apache httpd
on a system that you plan to use as a frontend-only system when you
install mythbackend, the problem isn't that MythTV doesn't support
installing frontend-only systems--it's that your distro's packages don't
let you decide whether to do a master-backend install or a remote
backend install, where the required-only-for-one-system-on-the-network
external dependencies are only installed on one backend system.  Note,
also, that the size of MySQL server or Apache httpd is /much/ greater
than the size of the few MythTV binaries that you won't be using on a
frontend-only install.  That said, packagers have to decide between ease
of use (ability of users to figure out how to use the packages and get
MythTV working) and flexibility of install (ability of a random user to
save some amount of HDD space usage), and, IMHO, ease of use is far more
important.

Mike