[mythtv-users] Still confused about recording groups

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Tue Dec 6 21:13:40 UTC 2011

On December 6, 2011, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/06/2011 12:34 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> > On 12/6/2011 10:34, Mark J. Small wrote:
> >> However, when I check the Machine Status on a frontend, I see three
> >> MythTV drives listed. The two above and slave:/var/lib/mythtv.
> >
> > MythTV only records where it is told, and has no default locations it
> > wants to record to.  The only reason it would want to record to
> > /var/lib/mythtv is because you (or your distro) told it to.  Run
> > mythtv-setup on the slave backend host and see if it is defined as an
> > additional recording path.
>
> It's also possible that you had defined that directory in some other
> Storage Group on a different (no-longer-in-use) host in the past, and
> didn't properly decommission the host...
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration#Retiring_an_old_backend
>
> specifically the Storage Group stuff...
>
> If you want to post the output of:
>
> mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'SELECT * FROM storagegroup;'
>
> I can tell you exactly what's happening.  (Feel free to send directly to
> me if you don't want it on the list.)
>
> Mike
Thanks Mike, Raymond.

I checked mythtv-setup on the slave, and there were no storage groups defined.

I then ran the mysql command that Mike suggested.  It showed two extra
dirnames.  Both were on frontends that breifly had the backend software
installed (one for burning DVDs, the other because of a messed up dependency).
I reinstalled the backend on each, ran mythtv setup and deleted the default
storage group.  I then uninstalled the backend again.   Now there are only the
proper two directories in my default storage group.

The next thing to do will be to move the recordings that are on the slave back
to the master and panic because my disk space is suddenly much lower than I
thought :)  It's a shame that hard drive prices are so high now.

Thanks for the help,

Mark