[mythtv-users] LIRC / Nvidia 180.13 LED Always Lit

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Dec 6 21:01:01 UTC 2011

On 12/6/11 5:33 AM, phipps-hutton at sky.com wrote:
> Quoting Scott&  Nicole Harris<snharris99 at live.com>:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> The LED light on my MCE IR receiver has taken to always being lit
>> (or blinking furiously).  My TV is connected to my 220GT via HDMI
>> (video and sound) and I am using the 180.13 NVidia drivers (due to
>> the segfault issues I experience with any of the current higher
>> versions) and ALSA 1.0.24.  The reason I am thinking the two are
>> connected is because when I power off the TV, the LED light on the
>> receiver goes out; power the TV back on, and the light comes on
>> again.  The only thing that I can think of that connects the two is
>> (obviously) the HDMI signal into the card.
>>

> The other thing that connects the two is infra-red light from the TV
> bouncing around the room and back to the MCE receiver. Mine does the
> same and I've got used to it. It doesn't stop the remote working.
> Stick something over the LED if it bothers you, it's only there to
> tell you the receiver is receiving and you already know that.

I agree that this is the most likely cause. I'll add that this can
sometimes be reduced a bit by changing the "economy" or "green" mode of
the TV, turning it on or off. This changes the frequency of the
backlight, and can prevent the receiver from thinking there is an IR
signal when there isn't.

I'll also disagree with the assessment that it doesn't harm anything. in
the case of my Sony TV, if it's in power save mode, I can hardly use my
IR remote without it missing every third or fourth keypress. YMMV, I guess.