[mythtv-users] Newbie

Jarl Friis jarl at softace.dk
Sat Dec 3 22:21:56 UTC 2011

Thank you all for all your feedback and good and detailed answers...

I may summarise these high-level principles and concepts of workings
of MythTV on wiki one day.

I will answer some of your questions, and will ask a bit more detailed
in the following:

I am in Denmark.

My TV source is currently Yousee (cable TV) which provides digital
channels (and even a subset as analog). I am also planning to use
Fullrate TV which apparently transmit TV over ADSL using a Tatung STB
2313, which is provided by service provider (Fullrate). The output
from this is a HDMI cable or a SCART cable. But over-the-air TV (In Denmark
there is only digital) is also under consideration, that is DVB-T I guess.

I plan to dimension my system as if all the channels were HD.

I plan to have a fast server (quad core I believe) for BE with a local
disk for OS and DB.

I plan to use a QNAP TS-659 Pro II for storage (configured with RAID5
on SATAv3 disks). Probably with a gigabit ethernet to the backend. Can
be configured to use Jumbo frames.

I plan to start with one TV (as a start), that means I will have one
MythTV frontend with IR receiver close to the TV.

Richard Morton wrote:
> I would suggest having a "backend" in a closet and either running a
> long hdmi cable to your tv or a network cable and having a quiet
> frontend in your lounge.

I plan to have a backend in the basement. So I expect a long HDMI
won't do it, because I need a front end with a IR receiver in every
room with a TV to change channels, right?

What is the minimum bandwidth needed between BE and FE? 10Mbit wont be
sufficient, will it? (dimensioning for HDTV!)

Regarding tuners and capture hardware: What kind of HW can be used
for scart cable input (probably RGB signal
with stereo audio) as from the Tatung STB 2313? I suspect the HDMI
signal has HDCP, and as far as I understand MythTV cannot handle this,
correct?

As far as I understand a decent laptop can be used as frontend for
individual/private TV watching whereas the living room TV can be used
for social TV watching. For me that means that I as a start will only
need one silent decent-looking (for the living room) front-end with IR
receiver. I will be glad if you could all give me some links to the HW
products you are using for that purpose. So far one has mentioned

* Ion330 (http://www.asrock.com/nettop/spec/ion%20330.asp)

Jarl

--
Jarl Friis