[mythtv-users] lirc acting very bizarrely

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Thu Dec 1 10:19:50 UTC 2011

Gabe Rubin wrote:

-----Original Message-----

I now know what the issue is.  When X starts up, no matter what I put in the xorg.conf file, it treats my remote as if it is a keyboard and the buttons have no relationship to any of my lirc config files.  I believe xinput is just taking the raw ir code and converting it to a keyboard keystroke.  However, once I have lirc properly configured, lirc takes over the receiver and the buttons do not get interpreted as a keyboard keystroke but get properly interpreted according the my lirc config files.

However, here is why lirc is not properly starting up.  Every time I reboot, the lirc device changes which /dev/input/eventXX 9where XX is a number) it is on.  So each time I reboot, I have to edit the file /etc/sysconfig/lirc to include the correct setting for LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/event6" (where it happens to be event6 this
time) and then restart the lirc service.

Why is this happening?  I mean, I can get it to work on reboots, but this should be static.  At least it always has been before.

You should be able to use something like this instead:
LIRCD_DEVICE="/dev/input/by-id/usb-HOLTEK_PC_receiver-event-kbd"
Or possibly:
/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:06.0-usb-0:1:1.0-event

I am not sure what's the difference between /dev/input/by-id/ and /dev/input/by-path/.

Jens