[mythtv-users] How to set MythTV locale

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 31 17:37:26 UTC 2011

On 08/31/2011 04:13 AM, David Watkins wrote:

>> Those settings are only applied if they're not already set in the
>> database--they're locale defaults for new databases/hosts.  Because you
>> created your database/configured your host before we had locale
>> defaults, you didn't get the locale-appropriate value.
> That makes sense.  I forgot to mention that before I restored my 0.21
> database I seem to recall that the new 0.25 system was using "Subtitle
> then Description" as its default.
>
>> So, you'll need to edit the value--just go into MythWeb's settings
>> editor and change the data for the value with the name David E.
>> mentioned in his post.
> I presume you mean this post?
>
>> Second, the default duplicate detection method is controlled by your
>> locale setting.  Search for "prefDupMethod" in the locales/en_gb.xml
>> file and copy that to the equivalent file for your chosen locale.
> So I could edit en_us.xml but I'd rather get the locale set to GB.
>
> In mythweb's settings I can't see fields for either "locale" or
> "prefDupMethod".  Am I doing something wrong?

Yes.

> I would be able to poke around in the database and change stuff, but
> if there's a better way they I'd rather use it.

We have no widget for changing that specific setting.

> If I find prefDupMethod in the database and change it that still won't
> set the GB locale, so I'm hoping there's a "locale" setting too.

For that, use mythfrontend -p and then select the one you want and save
it--regardless of what seems selected.  I'm pretty sure that it showed
en_GB because you told it to prompt you and, at the time when we ask for
language, we haven't yet contacted the database, so it uses your system
(non-MythTV) locale settings to determine the most appropriate one.  It
must ask for locale, first, so the we can ask questions about where to
find the backend/database using the right language.  So, if you just
save the one you want (and specify the same host name that your system
normally uses), it will save the desired locale to the database once
you've selected the backend/database.

Mike