[mythtv-users] What is everyone using for IR Receivers ?

Neil Cooper neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 16:53:23 UTC 2011

--- On Tue, 8/30/11, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:

From: linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com>
Subject: [mythtv-users] What is everyone using for IR Receivers ?
To: "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 5:43 PM

I need a bunch of IR receivers for my front end boxes.  What is everyone using ?

Thanks !

I have no idea why people automatically just  think IR. Just a sugestion... Use radio frequency remotes instead.

Its a massive advantage that you don't need the mythtv box in line-of-sight, (you can put it in a cupboard or entertainment center with a door or whatever).

you also dont need to point your remote when you use it, and it can work from
anywhere in the house which is especially great if youre listening to mythmusic.

I used this for a long time: http://www.snapstream.com/products/firefly/ It was perfect as a mythtv remote.

Now I use an learning remote  with X10 from X10.com just so I dont need multiple remotes. The PC end is a  CM-19a (usb X10 tranceiver ). Cost of remote & tranceiver together was about $50.

I can control my mythTV, stereo, any anything else I want to setup with X10 such as  home lights from 1 remote. Not that I have bothered to set it up, but as the CM-19a is actually an X10 transceiver my mythtv box technically could directly control stuff like lights, burglar alarms etc too.