[mythtv-users] What is everyone using for IR Receivers ?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 15:30:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 6:43 PM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I need a bunch of IR receivers for my front end boxes.  What is everyone
> using ?

I went a different direction and bought an IR keyboard and a
JP1 programmable remote (URC-8910) which was cheap at the time (around $50)
and programmed the remote to send keystrokes to the keyboard receiver.
 Since the IR keyboard shows as a keyboard to Linux, no LIRC is necessary
and the button processing is lightning fast.  Might be a little more
expensive initially but you get both an IR keyboard/mouse to use when you
need it and a universal remote that can control your entire entertainment
center as well as MythTV without LIRC

Hardware details: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Kkuphal
Programming the remote:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Programming_Remotes_as_Keyboards