[mythtv-users] HD-PVR recordings oversaturated

Andrew Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Mon Aug 29 12:43:44 UTC 2011

On 29/08/2011 12:56 AM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com
> <mailto:jerrymr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:28 PM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com
>     <mailto:jerrymr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         I just upgraded the firmware on my HD-PVR from version 0x12
>         May 7, 2009 to the latest from the Hauppauge web site, 0x17
>         July 27, 2011.  Now all recordings from the HD-PVR are way
>         oversaturated.  Catting /dev/video0 and playing the file with
>         vlc yields the same result.  According to v4l2-ctl -l, the
>         settings are all at defaults.  Any ideas what the problem
>         could be?
>
>         Kern.log says "untested firmware, the driver might not work".
>          That's a little scary.  Any way to obtain and install a
>         previous firmware version?
>
>         -Jerry
>

>     I tried adjusting the brightness and contrast in the channel
>     change script, via:
>
>     /usr/bin/v4l2-ctl --device=/dev/video0 --set-ctrl=brightness=100
>
>     But it seems to have no effect.  I can use the same command during
>     a recording from the command line and see it effect the
>     brightness.  It appears that when the recording starts, these
>     HD-PVR settings get reset to defaults.
>
>     I'm running 0.24.1-fixes, btw.
>

> And a 2.6.38-10 kernel.
>
> It seems like Myth must be setting the hd-pvr to a default state after
> running the channel change script.  Or for some reason the v4l2-ctl
> lines aren't having an effect when run inside the script.  Is there
> any other point when a recording starts, besides the channel change
> script, to run a script?  If so, and if there is another script point,
> at least I could have a workaround to adjust the picture adequately
> until I found a real fix.
>
> -Jerry

An ugly gludge I used once for a PVR150 with audio issues simply
involved spawning another script from inside the channel change script.
The 2nd script would sleep for a couple secs, while myth did its post
channel change processing, then reset the audio channel via v4l2-ctl.
Might work here, YMMV.

Cheers,

Andrew.