[mythtv-users] HD-PVR recordings oversaturated

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 04:56:56 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:28 PM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded the firmware on my HD-PVR from version 0x12 May 7, 2009 to
>> the latest from the Hauppauge web site, 0x17 July 27, 2011.  Now all
>> recordings from the HD-PVR are way oversaturated.  Catting /dev/video0 and
>> playing the file with vlc yields the same result.  According to v4l2-ctl -l,
>> the settings are all at defaults.  Any ideas what the problem could be?
>>
>> Kern.log says "untested firmware, the driver might not work".  That's a
>> little scary.  Any way to obtain and install a previous firmware version?
>>
>> -Jerry
>>

> I tried adjusting the brightness and contrast in the channel change script,
> via:
>
> /usr/bin/v4l2-ctl --device=/dev/video0 --set-ctrl=brightness=100
>
> But it seems to have no effect.  I can use the same command during a
> recording from the command line and see it effect the brightness.  It
> appears that when the recording starts, these HD-PVR settings get reset to
> defaults.
>
> I'm running 0.24.1-fixes, btw.

And a 2.6.38-10 kernel.

It seems like Myth must be setting the hd-pvr to a default state after
running the channel change script.  Or for some reason the v4l2-ctl lines
aren't having an effect when run inside the script.  Is there any other
point when a recording starts, besides the channel change script, to run a
script?  If so, and if there is another script point, at least I could have
a workaround to adjust the picture adequately until I found a real fix.

-Jerry