[mythtv-users] OT: I'm abandoning Netflix (WD Live Hub too.)

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Aug 26 20:04:17 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Kris B. <krisbee at krisbee.com> wrote:
> Well I have heard that the WD Live does have issues with netflix, but most
> people seem to be happy with the Roku and its' HD.  I only have SD here, so
> I can't complain - it looks great through my 3mb connection.

I tried Netflix streaming of some movie previews from my BluRay
player.  (I'm not a Netflix customer and only tried the freely
available content.)  I picked some previews for which I also had the
exact same preview on a BluRay disc, so I could compare them using the
exact same player hardware.  The difference was night and day.  The
content from the physical disc was much clearer than the streamed
preview.

I've seen Netflix running on small crt sets in SD and the picture
quality there looks as good as SD cable tv on the same set, but if you
have a large HD set, you will notice the difference between streaming
and having a real blu ray disc.  It's watchable, but I'd say we still
have a ways to go before it really reaches its full potential.

Personally, I'd love to see a middle ground approach, where the video
could download in less than real time, but faster than mailing a disc,
perhaps using multi-cast or some sort of peer-to-pear approach, but
I'm not holding my breath.

Eric