[mythtv-users] OT: I'm abandoning Netflix (WD Live Hub too.)

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Aug 26 20:01:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 03:21:12PM -0400, Kris B. wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 11:59 -0600, "linux guy"
> <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>   Just a little update on my Netflix situation.
>   I was going to put a Netflix enabled "box" in the service room
>   and connect the component out to an HD-PVR connected to my

[deletia]

>   So... I have basically given up on Netflix.   I'll rent a Blu
>   Ray DVD or watch HD satellite feeds instead of using Netflix.
>   I've also given up on "media streamers".  Somehow I thought
>   they would be slicker and easier.  I can do anything they can
>   do better on a PC.
>

> Well I have heard that the WD Live does have issues with netflix,
> but most people seem to be happy with the Roku and its' HD.  I
> only have SD here, so I can't complain - it looks great through
> my 3mb connection.  That is the other aspect, you must have a

   The Netflix streaming experience is inferior to a disk and a PC
based video player in a number of ways. It's not just about the
video quality. Although that's certainly an obvious sore point.
Even when something was available for streaming on Netflix, I still
prefered the DVD. (quality, controls, subtitles)

[deletia]

> The Roku setup for me was minutes, and I am well pleased.  The
> Roku "channels", especially the private ones add lots of great
> content for cheap (ie, free!).  The WD Live, from what I
> understand, only really excels at local content you through at
> it.  The Roku is exactly the opposite.

   Yes. I see the Roku as an ideal supplemental device to a MythTV
setup where you use the Roku for those things that don't work well
or at all in Linux. I think it is much better than buying a bunch
of xboxes. '-)

   Cheap too.

   Supports multiple streaming services.

[deletia]