[mythtv-users] Boxee Box for $169 has got me thinking

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 20:54:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Conor Klecker <conor at ronoc.net> wrote:

> Boxee sent out emails to Alpha and Beta users with an offer code to
> purchase a few D-Link hardward items on a discount. One of which is the
> boxee box for $169.
>
> Has anyone been using this as a frontend with much success? I was able to
> play recordings and videos, however LiveTV was buggy.  I could pause, but
> not rewind.

I've had a Boxee box since launch day - Do you mean using the MythBoxee app
as a front end? I've never been able to get that working with my whacky
multiple back-end setup. However, I do use it to play recordings over SMB
and occasionally uPNP. The pros and cons of each are:

SMB - I run the mythrename.pl script manually and have the show_names folder
as a source in Boxee. Playback (N wifi) is almost always very smooth with no
hiccups. Fast-forwarding and rewinding are usually pretty usable. Oh, an
important thing - I access this by hitting the videos -> Files -> Show_names
folder, not from the root tv shows view... Boxee munges everything up
because it doesn't know which episode is which.

UPNP - This usually "just works" but it's a mess, because it just gives a
flat list of files and I have to scroll forever.

I've been very interested into using mythfuse or MythicalLibrarian to
populate symlinked filenames with episode info, but that won't work with my
current setup. Once my Prime arrives and I consolidate all my tuners and
files to one backend, I plan on trying again. The MythicalLibrarian dev is
super responsive and good at responding to questions.

If you really want to see the joy of the Boxee Box, check out Navi-X. It
lets you do Things That Shall Not Be Mentioned on this mailing list.