[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Aug 23 20:27:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 04:06:19PM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 11-08-23 03:30 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> >
> > There are two issues in play here.  First, DVDs are something that you
> > have purchased and own.
>
> AFAIU, DVDs are "licensed content" under the conditions of the license,
> which != own.
>
> > There are clauses in the DMCA for unauthorized
> > decryption on the part of the owner for the purposes of compatibility.
>
> AFAIU, "format shifting" was specifically denied as a DMCA exception.
>
> > This puts DVD ripping on the part of the consumer in a bit of a gray
> > area between seemingly conflicting clauses.
>
> I think the specific denial for format-shifting makes that not-so-grey.

   Perhaps.

   Although the industry perhaps doesn't want to open up that particular
can of worms. They may find that their victim is much more sympathetic
than in their other legal escapades. The defendant may look less like a
thief and more like a paying customer being abused by a corporate bully.

    They may find that their chosen victim has enough nicely bound leather
DVD folders to give every member of the jury one of their very own that they
can flip through when considering the sanity of the situation.

[deletia]