[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 23 05:10:26 UTC 2011

On 08/23/2011 12:52 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/22/2011 07:16 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

>>> are you sure? I have friends with Netflix and they are able to watch
>>> via their laptops or net-connected blu-ray players and PS3, and
>>> Netflix doesn't throw any warnings or anything at them when they setup
>>> the new devices.
>> Are they allowed to stream to multiple devices simultaneously? Is there
>> some sort of monthly cap on how much they are allowed to watch? I don't
>> have a Netflix account so I honestly don't know.
> FWIW: http://www.roku.com/netflix-partner
> -----
> ON UP TO 6 TVs
> With one Netflix unlimited streaming membership, you can activate up to
> 6 Roku players. So you can get your Netflix fix wherever you have a
> TV—from the spare bedroom to the workout room to that favorite vacation
> spot.
> -----
>
> No clue whether it allows streaming to multiple devices simultaneously,
> or if only one of the 6 can be used at a time and they're limiting it to
> 6 locations, or what.

Ahh, locations.  http://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse#service
-----
YOU MAY INSTANTLY WATCH ON UP TO SIX UNIQUE AUTHORIZED NETFLIX READY
DEVICES. YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO INSTANTLY WATCH SIMULTANEOUSLY ON ONLY
ONE SUCH DEVICE AT ANY GIVEN TIME. For certain membership plans in the
United States, you may instantly watch simultaneously on more than one
Netflix ready device within your household.
-----

(caps in their document--I didn't do it).

http://www.netflix.com/FAQ?p_faqid=2902
-----
Q:
Can I watch movies instantly on more than one PC or Netflix-ready device?

A:
Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one
personal computer or Netflix-ready device. If you are on the Unlimited
Streaming plan, the Unlimited Streaming + 1 DVD out-at-a-time plan or a
limited streaming plan, you may watch only one device at a time.

If you are on the Unlimited Streaming + 2 DVDs out-at-a-time plan, you
may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the Unlimited
Streaming + 3 DVDs out-at-a-time plan may watch on up to three devices
at a time. The maximum is four devices at a time -- available for
members on the Unlimited Streaming + 4-or greater DVDs out-at-a-time plan.
-----

> Note, also, the price:  http://www.roku.com/roku-products .  Seems
> reasonable to me.  And with a Roku device, you even get Angry Birds (
> http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store ) among other stuff.  You won't
> get that with MythTV (or, at least, if you record the Roku output with
> MythTV, you won't want to play Angry Birds).

Oh, and BTW, note that I'm not recommending the Roku, specifically.
I've never actually used it, nor do I have a Netflix account.  I'm just
mentioning it as one possible device you can use.  (And if you really
want Angry Birds, note that you have to buy the most-expensive Roku 2.)
And, since many TVs and BluRay players have Netflix streaming support
built in, anymore, you may not need an extra device.

Mike