[mythtv-users] External channel change program for Scientific Atlanta 4240HDC?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 23 04:05:31 UTC 2011

On 08/22/2011 10:29 PM, Keith Pyle wrote:
>> I am interested in any steps you made to get your setup stable. I am
>> especially interested in what you did differently then the wiki page
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/FireWire
>>
>> Did you use sa4250_ch as an external channel changer or
>> was the MythTV internal code enough?
> The primary change was that, as you noted in an earlier message, the
> 4240HDC needs the key release command sent.  I've since merged some of
> the ideas from sa4250_ch and from some other channel change programs to
> create an initial, more generic program.  My thought was to create a
> program that would identify the specific model set-top box and do the
> right thing.  I've diverted to other projects and haven't completed it,
> but it is working for the 4240.
>
> I use this program as an external channel changer and I've had no
> problems at all.  I haven't tried or looked at the Myth internal code.

Feel free to place your script on the wiki, at

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Firewire_Priming_Scripts
or
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Channel_Change_Scripts

and it may make sense to link those category pages from the Firewire
page linked above (but I'll leave that to someone who has actually read
the Firewire page).

Oh, and if anyone would like to lead a project for maintaining (and even
creating new) channel change scripts/programs and firewire priming
scripts/programs, please let me know, and I'll help you get it started.
Having a real repository of code where people who actually use the
scripts/programs could be given commit access would be much better than
having random pages on the wiki, with less-than-ideal versioning and such.

Mike