[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Aug 22 21:27:30 UTC 2011

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:07:35 -0400, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org>
wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> wrote:
>> If everyone were actually streaming live, no, it wouldn't be necessary.
>> The problem comes when you start trying to diverge from live.  You only
>> want a couple seconds of video in memory at any given time.
>
> A couple of seconds is huge.  I would hope this could be kept to
> somewhere in the vicinity of 200-500ms.

With broadcast MPEG2, you usually get around two keyframe per second, so
your buffer would hold at minimum half a second.  With broadcast h264, this
can be several seconds apart, and worse still, you can reference multiple
keyframes back.  If not in the ring buffer, they at least must be stored in
the video player itself.  What I was getting at is that if you are more
than a short period of time from live, you would have to use an independent
buffer and pull from the disk, meaning whatever system you set in place to
allow live tv to pull directly from the recording buffer rather than from
the disk, it would need to be able to account for that possible separation
and pick up the new data source.