[mythtv-users] The elusive silent myth BE/FE box [in search of]

Epinephrine Junky epinephrine_junky at beadon.ca
Sat Aug 20 22:30:11 UTC 2011

>> Hi mate, I got tired of replacing perfectly good hardware trying for a
>> silent FE/BE.  Instead i moved the backend to a machine off where i
>> can't actually hear it,
> +1

I'm very limited on this front.  I'm in a town house with concrete slab on
grade under the flooring (no basement/crawl space) neighbors on either side
and no attic.  I have only one spot where the cable tv comes in the house
and that's behind the tv.  I would love to have my BE hidden away somewhere
but it would involve a lot of tearing walls apart and I'm terrible at
patching drywall.

> Also, it seems that a majority of the cost of a small, silent, and
> pretty computer system is tied to the "small, silent, and pretty"
> requirements.

True, but right now I've already gotten it small enough and pretty enough
for WAF.  The issue is silent.

> (iii) Your pico-PSU may sound a good idea but remember you'll get losses
in the power brick as well, say 7 to 10W.
True but the beauty of that is that the heat is dumped outside the box so
it doesn't contribute to (over)heating the CPU.

> (iv) I'd say you would be mad to try and run this without anything but a
case fan.
Maybe but I've been called worse.  I was thinking of these fanless
systems:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=hfx_classic_fanless_htpc.html
If I had the $ to spend they seem to have the right idea... just way too
expensive.