[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime iPad app

James Van Vleet james at vanvleet.net
Sat Aug 20 17:16:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> >it makes sense to remove as much unnecessary weight as possible.  No,
> >this is just some marketing weenie telling the engineers to use external
> >supplies because a slightly smaller unit will be more appealing and sell
> >more.

I did a brief stint in the appliance hardware thing and based on
that experience I don't believe this is the case.  The real reason I
discovered is that it is *much* less expensive and painful from a UL (or
other equivalent) standpoint to purchase an already approved UL external
power supply and feed low voltage into your device.  Doing this can make
both the initial UL cert and the updates as the device changes a snap.

Otherwise you are feeding 110-220 volts into your device and UL is MUCH more
interested in those.

Also there is the whole getting that heat out of our device thing, but in
our case taking a lot of the UL headaches out of the system was the big win.

-James