[mythtv-users] Long time Mythwelcome bugs?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:31:53 UTC 2011

On Aug 12, 2011 12:01 PM, "Neil Cooper" <neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> snip...

>> Uhh.. not sure what part of my original post gave you the incorrect
impression that  I didn't already know that, especially as I describe how
when I'm done with the frontend I explicitly exit the frontend back to
mythwelcome.

>> The problem is that mythwelcome is starting the frontend even when mythtv
wakes itself up via ACPI to record a show, This shouldn't happen according
to  the mythtv wiki:

>> Automatically Start
>>  Mythfrontend
>>
>> - Normally when mythwelcome starts up it checks to see
>>  whether the system was started to record something or
>>  because of a wakeup/shutdown period. If not it will
>>  automatically start the frontend.
>> You can disable this feature by unchecking this option.

Neil-
Maybe we're saying the same thing, but it sounded like you were saying that
you had the option set to start mythfrontend, expecting it to ignore
starting mythfrontend if the system decides it was woken to do a recording.
I can see how the description above would give that impression, but that
would be incorrect. On a combined FE/BE with mythwelcome, turn off that
option. It will open up just the mythwelcome screen, do the recording and
shutdown. OTOH, when you want to watch something on the FE/BE, you'll have
to use your control to tell mythwelcome to start mythfrontend.

The switch is for use on an FE-only system, where there's not much point in
starting in mythwelcome, so you want to go directly to mythfrontend. In my
case, I sometimes want to lock (prevent) shutdown from a FE, shutdown the
FE, and then go to another (FE or BE) to do more mythtv, so I exit
mythfrontend into mythwelcome and use its menu to lock mythtv and shutdown
this FE.

Better explanation?

Craig.