[mythtv-users] Custom record for re-recording shows before a certain date

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Aug 13 07:54:24 UTC 2011

On 08/12/2011 11:10 AM, David Engel wrote:
> Second, you'll need to defeat the duplicate checking for those
> programs you want to re-record.  The best way to do that is to go into
> the frontend and choose the "Allow this program to re-record" option
> for each program.

Agreed.  Allowing the particular episodes to re-record is the easiest
way to get them--and that way you can use a normal series recording rule
to get them.

And note that if you do "Allow this program to re-record" in Watch
Recordings (on the actual recording), you can keep the existing
recording and it will still re-record the episode if you were afraid of
deleting it in case it doesn't re-air.  Then, when you get the
duplicate, just delete the old/broken recording.  If you use the
Previously Recorded screen to "Allow this episode to re-record," the
episode will not be re-recorded as long as the recording of that episode
exists in current recordings (in the Watch Recordings screen), assuming
you're using, "Look for duplicates in current and previous recordings"
(or "Look for duplicates in current recordings only," but you don't want
that one).  But if you've already deleted the episodes, you can use
Previously Recorded screen to "Allow this episode to re-record".

Mike

As a side note, David (I'm assuming you'll see this since you were
following the thread), is there a reason we use 2 different wordings
("Allow this program to re-record" and "Allow this episode to
re-record") or would it be OK for me to change both to be the same to
make things easier for translators?  And, if so, which one do you
prefer?  (Episode seems like it would be more specific--and possibly
less confusing in Previously Recorded, which is likely why it was used
there.)