[mythtv-users] Test drives with hdparm

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 12:58:29 UTC 2011

Tim Draper wrote:
>after reading alot of replies in this thread, it seems lots of
>people are putting it down to a mythtv specific issue - i havent
>seen anything to say otherwise...

That's because MythTV is one of the few applications where the
problem would surface - and if it surfaces in another application,
people are going to be posting in a mailing list appropriate to that.
For "general computing" it doesn't matter if a disk takes 100ms
instead of 50 to return or write your block of data. But if you are
streaming a DVB stream to disk and it hiccups (and you don't have
enough buffering, see my earlier posting) then you'll lose data.

--
Simon Hobson