[mythtv-users] MythTV dependencies and Ron's Ceton patch

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 23:34:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> My main patch (the non-mythbuntu one) is actually done against
> 24-fixes as of a month or so ago, and thus is newer than 24.1 (there's
> technically no 24.1-fixes, as 24.1 was a snapshot of the fixes branch
> as of last May). The mythbuntu patch was for 24.0. If you compare my 2
> patches, they are identical except for a few lines in the configure
> file (mythbuntu has some options for Video4Linux2 support that doesn't
> seem to be in the official myth version). So if you get the official
> fixes branch, my main patch should work, although you'll then be
> responsible for figuring out how to get myth to start/stop
> automatically, etc...all that stuff that mythbuntu handles for you (if
> you go this route, you are on your own...I have no idea how to advise
> you on tying into mythbuntu's stuff). If you try to do the mythbuntu
> 0.24.1 release***, I imagine you would follow pretty much my existing
> mythbuntu instructions, just making some adjustments to paths and
> filenames as appropriate.
>
> *** Re: mythbuntu 0.24.1 - does such a thing even exist? In your
> apt-get output, it appears to, but I'm not sure where you are getting
> it. My 11.04 install only has 0.24.0. I couldn't find any way to get a
> newer version. If you figure out how, you'll be on your own, as I
> haven't any clue how it's done (I've never used mythbuntu except to
> build this patch and figure out basic instructions, which I only did
> because I knew a lot of people used it). If you do manage to do it and
> get it working, if you'd like to share the steps you took to get it
> done, it might be helpful to others.
>
> --
> Ron Frazier

That's cool.  You have been very helpful to me and many others.

I got to .24.1-fixes from the MythTV/Mythbuntu Updates repos.  These
repos are for keeping up-to-date with blessed stable builds of MythTV
and Mythbuntu specific apps.  It is very simple.

Here is how I got there:

1) I downloaded this file
(http://mythbuntu.org/files/mythbuntu-repos.deb) from this page
(http://mythbuntu.org/repos).
2) I ran this command (dpkg -i mythbuntu-repos.deb) and picked .24.x
updates when prompted.
3) I ran the synaptic package manager from the system menu, and
disabled the system/ubuntu repos because I only wanted MythTV and
Mythbuntu updates.
4) I reloaded, marked all for upgrade, and then applied the upgrade.

That was all I did.  It was just habit from my several experimental
builds over the past couple years.

Worst case, I start over and follow our instructions correctly.  That
is not the end of the world.  Thanks again.

-Tom