[mythtv-users] MythTV dependencies and Ron's Ceton patch

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 15:41:50 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> It looks to me like maybe mythbuntu has an updated version of myth in
> it's repository. When I created the patch, it looks like the version
> was dated 20110416, but in those files I see it dated 20110802. So
> what I think happened (and it's just a guess here, as I'm not an
> expert at the fine details of package management):
>
> In my mythbuntu instruction, I mentioned that the build process
> created a bunch of packages, and I said you could try installing them
> all if you want, but that I only installed 4 and everything seemed to
> work. If you only installed those 4, then everything else (the
> packages for mythmusic, mythgallery, etc) remained at their default
> version. Now that apt sees newer versions of everything, it probably
> wants to update all of those other components, but doesn't want to
> update the ones that you replaced, probably because it doesn't
> recognize those versions, and thus doesn't know how to update them.
>
> So I'm not sure what the correct course of action here would be. You
> could probably run "apt-get -f install" as it suggests, to force the
> updates. You might then have mismatched versions of the myth
> libraries. I'm betting there's actually a new version of the myth code
> available (looks like they switched from 0.24-0 to 0.24-1), and if you
> forced those updates and then rebuilt the newer version of myth and
> installed the updated packages you'd be back on solid ground. I'm not
> absolutely positive though.
>
> If anyone else here knows a bit more about package management, perhaps
> they could chime in.
>
> Otherwise, if you are shy about experimenting, I could take a look
> into it tonight. I've got my mythbuntu test system running in a VM, so
> I can take a snapshot, mess with it, and then revert if it doesn't
> work right.
>
> --
> Ron Frazier

Is it the other way around?  I think it is trying to install .24.0+fixes
from 2011.04.16 because that is the latest version of the unpatched
libraries that it knows about, but I applied your patch to the .24.1+fixes
source.  This is because Mythbuntu 11.04 comes with .24.0 and not .24.1.  I
added the MythTV and Mythbuntu updates (http://mythbuntu.org/repos) for
.24.x.  I thought this would bring me to to .24.1+fixes, but I guess it did
not.  I only got .24.0+fixes.  From a MythTV point of view, this is not a
problem, but it seems to have confused the package manager.

-Tom