[mythtv-users] unable to add new channels from Schedules Direct lineup

Don Lewis dl-mythtv at catspoiler.org
Wed Aug 10 06:03:21 UTC 2011

On  8 Aug, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Don Lewis <dl-mythtv at catspoiler.org> wrote:
>> No such luck with sourceid 4, though.  For some reason it just doesn't
>> want to create any new channels.  If I manually create a missing channel
>> in the channel editor and just fill in the channel number, the grabber
>> will fill in the rest of the information, but it doesn't seem to want to
>> create any new channels from scratch.  This is pretty painful because
>> there are now something like eighty missing channels ...
>
> I believe that how mythfilldatabase updates the channels depends on
> what sort of card it's assigned to. With an HDHomerun, you can't just
> grab the channels from schedules direct. You generally need to do a
> channel scan to get the proper info filled in. Now, I'm not sure how
> the Prime is setup in myth, but I was thinking it just used the same
> recorder class as a regular HDHomerun. If that's the case, then
> mythfilldatabase probably doesn't know how to distinguish a regular
> HDHR from a Prime, and thus it figures it better not add the channels
> because it won't have all the necessary info.
>
> I'm not sure what method you'd thus have to use. You could try
> assigning the source to another type of recorder, updating the
> channels, and then assigning it back to the Prime recorder. I can't
> say whether that will fill in the necessary fields or not. It might
> screw them up and you'd have to delete the source and start over. I
> really don't know. Does the scan option actually do anything on a
> Prime when the cablecard is installed?

That work, though it didn't seem to work until I swapped the Prime input
source with the HD-PVR input source.  Just assigning the Prime input
source to the HD-PVR so that it was shared by both recorders and
grabbing the channels from the input connection page for the HD-PVR
didn't seem like it was working.  After grabbing the channels, I swapped
the sources back and deleted the copy once channels from the Prime's
lineup.

This workaround wouldn't be possible for someone whose only recorder is
a Prime with a CableCard.