[mythtv-users] Help - Lirc broken after upgrade to 0.9.0

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Aug 3 21:52:17 UTC 2011

On Jul 29, 2011, at 9:20 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 17:39:05 -0400
> Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 27, 2011, at 8:28 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
>>>
>>> CONFIG_RC_CORE=y
>>> CONFIG_LIRC=y
>>> # CONFIG_RC_MAP is not set
>>> # CONFIG_IR_NEC_DECODER is not set
>>> CONFIG_IR_RC5_DECODER=y
>>> # CONFIG_IR_RC6_DECODER is not set
>>> # CONFIG_IR_JVC_DECODER is not set
>>> # CONFIG_IR_SONY_DECODER is not set
>>> # CONFIG_IR_RC5_SZ_DECODER is not set
>>> # CONFIG_IR_LIRC_CODEC is not set
>>> # CONFIG_IR_ENE is not set
>>> # CONFIG_IR_IMON is not set
>>> # CONFIG_IR_MCEUSB is not set
>>> # CONFIG_IR_ITE_CIR is not set
>>> # CONFIG_IR_NUVOTON is not set
>>> # CONFIG_IR_STREAMZAP is not set
>>> # CONFIG_IR_WINBOND_CIR is not set
>>> # CONFIG_RC_LOOPBACK is not set
>>>
>>> I'm using an Audiovox remote. Since I did not enable IR to LIRC
>>> bridge /dev/lirc(x) is not created.
>>> I had to enable evdev in kernel, this gives me /dev/input/event5 as
>>> IR.
>>>
>>> cat /proc/bus/input/devices
>>>
>>> I: Bus=0001 Vendor=7063 Product=5500 Version=0001
>>> N: Name="cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV)"
>>> P: Phys=pci-0000:04:01.2/ir0
>>> S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:04:01.2/rc/rc0/input5
>>> U: Uniq=
>>> H: Handlers=kbd event5
>>> B: PROP=0
>>> B: EV=100013
>>> B: KEY=1000000 0 0
>>> B: MSC=10
>>>
>>> I put
>>>
>>> LIRCD_OPTS="-H devinput
>>> -d /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:04:01.2-event-ir"
>>>
>>> into /etc/conf.d/lircd and to my surprise it works. Had to create a
>>> new lircd.conf with irrecord of course, since I did not use in
>>> kernel maps.
>>
>> Wrong. You're using an in-kernel RC5 map, and getting out linux input
>> namespace keycodes. And you didn't need to use irrecord, you just
>> needed to put lircd.conf.devinput provided by lirc in place.
>
> Thanks for corrections, I've to admit this was very first time I tried
> to get IR working and I was quite proud of it until you declared me
> wrong. :)

Hey, working is working, even if you don't have the details right. :)

> I was thinking RC5 is a protocol?

Yes, it is. But its being decoded in-kernel, and remapped to the finite
linux input layer key namespace, as defined in
<kernel source>/include/linux/input.h.

> BTW, had a look at lircd.conf.devinput, how could it help me with my
> rare remote?

See above. It contains all possible devinput mappings. The rare part
was handled by the in-kernel RC5 decoder in this case. And since your
remote is apparently bog-standard RC5, its not that rare. :)

> Shall I replace my lirc.conf and go thru setting up
> ~/.lircrc again? How could this improve my current setup?

You can leave it like it is, you just went to unnecessary trouble. Using
the stock lircd.conf.devinput might make redeploying elsewhere less of
a task though.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com