[mythtv-users] is (clearqam) channel scanning idempotent (NO!)?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Aug 3 15:35:30 UTC 2011

On 11-08-03 11:12 AM, Robert McNamara wrote:

> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8983

Seems more likely to be this one.

> Most of the people who wrote the channel scanner have moved on to
> other projects/are no longer involved with MythTV/appear no longer to
> be interested in channel scanning bugs, so the rate of fixing here is
> slow.

I see.

> Possible bug, possible you need to increase tuning/signal timeouts,
> tough to tell anything based on this.

What could/should I provide?  I guess I should first open a bug on it.

> Because your TV is sold in *one* locale, with *one* specific piece of
> tuner hardware, accounting for *one* television standard.

Fair enough, so then maybe Mythtv channel scanning has to be a two step
process:  1. Where are you, 2. Scan for that locale.

Hardware variances shouldn't really require input from the user.

I'd even be happy to learn what the devs and other users are doing to
make this process easier and less manual every time their cableco remaps
channels.  Surely everyone is not laboring through this process like I am.

I almost want to completely ignore this channel scanner and write my own
using external dvb tools and populating the channels database.  I
suspect somebody else has already done this.

b.