[mythtv-users] is (clearqam) channel scanning idempotent (NO!)?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:12:44 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> And why is data being lost for channels that don't change before and
> after the scan?

There is a bug open for the issue.  Patches extremely welcome.

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8324

with a probable side of:

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8983

Most of the people who wrote the channel scanner have moved on to
other projects/are no longer involved with MythTV/appear no longer to
be interested in channel scanning bugs, so the rate of fixing here is
slow.

> And additionally now, why are not all channels being found?  I have
> channels that my TV sees (using it's much, much more simple "scan
> channels" single click interface) that myth doesn't, and yet dvbscan on
> the exact same hardware is seeing.

Possible bug, possible you need to increase tuning/signal timeouts,
tough to tell anything based on this.

> Why is this whole process so seriously complicated and just not working?
>  Why can't I just have a single button "scan channels" like my TV does
> and have it find _all_ of the available channels?

Because your TV is sold in *one* locale, with *one* specific piece of
tuner hardware, accounting for *one* television standard.

MythTV needs to account for every locale on earth, the tuner hardware
supported by the linux TV APIs, and their many, many individual
idiosyncracies.  If we were dealing with one piece of hardware using
one modulation/broadcast type, in the US, we would have a one click
scan too.

Robert